The Information & eGovernment Authority (iGA) issued its foreign trade report of April 2020, encompassing data on the balance of trade, imports, exports (national origin), and re-exports.
The value of imports decreased by 19%, reaching BD362 million during April 2020 compared to BD448 million for the same month the previous year. The top 10 countries accounted for 68% of the value of imports, with the remaining countries accounting for 32%.
According to the report, China ranked first when it came to imports to Bahrain, with a total of BD61 million; Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was second with BD30 million; and the Brazil was third with BD28 million.
Aluminum oxide emerged as the top product imported into Bahrain with a total value of BD24.4 million, while non-agglomerated iron ores and concentrates was second with BD24 million, and four-wheel drive cars third with BD16 million.
The value of exports of national origin decreased by 9% to BD186 million during April 2020, compared to BD204 million for the same month of the previous year. The top 10 countries in terms of the value of exports of national origin purchased from Bahrain accounted for 79% of the total value, with the remaining countries accounting for 21%.
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia ranked first among countries receiving Bahraini exports of national origin, importing BD37 million from Bahrain. Meanwhile, the United Arab Emirates was second with BD20 million and Egypt third with BD18 million.
Unwrought aluminum alloys emerged as the top products exported during April 2020 with BD37 million, unwrought aluminum (not alloyed) was second with a value of BD31 million and Agglomerated iron ores and concentrates third with BD22 million.
The total value of re-exports decreased by 42% to reach BD38 million during April 2020, compared to BD66 million for the same month of the previous year. The top 10 countries accounted for 93% of the re-exported value, while the remaining countries accounted for the 7%. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia ranked first with BD14 million, the United Arab Emirates second with BD9 million, and China third with BD4 million.
Parts for aeroplanes as the top product re-exported from Bahrain with BD4.45 million, cigarettes containing tobacco came in second place with BD4.12 million, and parts for machines of working metal came third with BD4.04 million.
The trade balance, the difference between exports and imports, recorded a deficit totaling BD139 million during April of 2020 compared to BD178 million for the same month of the previous year, an improvement of the trade balance by 22%.