Established in 2003 as a forum for Arab Telecom Regulators to exchange experiences and create a unified regulatory ecosystem within the GCC, AREGNET was founded out of a need to monitor and lower the otherwise excessive costs users faced with their telecommunication activities while roaming within the GCC countries. Hosting regular meetings on the agenda that caters to enhancing the telecommunication sector in the region, AREGNET Network consists of 14 countries that convene together annually to measure the progress, and share the development, exchange ideas, and expertise that can lead to the ICT sector in the GCC becoming one of strongest.
The main objectives behind AREGNET are to:
- Provide a platform to exchange views and experiences in terms of regulating the telecommunications sector.
- Work in a unified manner to develop policies and effective regulations models which are to be fair and transparent, in order to achieve sustainable development in the sector.
- Harmonize telecommunication regulatory practices in the Arab world.
- Strategize on how to develop unified organizational models, policies, and procedures in order to promote the development and modernization of network and ICT services as well as creating a competitive environment which would allow users to benefit from high quality services at lowered prices.
- Establish and maintain an efficient system of information sharing among the members and key concerned parties.
- Provide support to members in order to achieve the goals, follow progress, and implementation of systems, policies, and procedures.
- Create an environment which would encourage investments in the sector in the region.
- Host regular meetings, conferences, and workshops related to the regulatory sector.
Overview of Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) Bahrain
The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) Bahrain, established in 2002 is a government body that aims to create a rich communications environment that enhances and social and commercial fabric of Bahrain.
TRA Bahrain is positioned as an entity dedicated to creating a platform where innovative communications services are available to all through sustainable and economically efficient investment, taking into consideration the interests and needs of consumers, developing ecologically friendly initiatives, and working towards maintaining the social and commercial welfare of Bahrain.
TRA Bahrain is built upon values that drive inspiration from the innovative and fast-paced world of the ICT and functions around crafting a sustainable platform upon which new ideas, methods, and techniques to improve that in Bahrain thrives. Working in close association with AREGNET and its other members, TRA Bahrain’s goal is to strengthen the collaboration between the Arab countries in the ICT sector, by unifying visions, knowledge, and expertise within the sector.
Over the past few years, with the efforts of TRA Bahrain, the Kingdom has seen accelerated growth and development in the ICT sector, and is being recognized as a technology-friendly country and leading by example. Ranking as 1st globally for mobile broadband penetration and 2nd for internet users, Bahrain is becoming recognized regionally and globally as one of the leaders of ICT, and harvests an environment that encourages further interest and investment in the sector from local, regional, and international partners.